The eye area is important in contact between individuals in day to day life. The area around the eyes conveys information on general health and impressions regarding individual health, fatigue, interest, and emotion. Attractive eyes are characterized by long eyelashes and absence of dark circles, lax skin and wrinkles. Dark circles is a common cosmetic concern and a host of other maladies can affect the skin here. The skin around the eyes can be treated with combinations of cream programs, peels, lasers, Botulinum and fillers and plastic surgery procedures as and when required.
It treats common eye problems such as
- Under eye dark circles and bags
- Excess fatty deposits on the lids
- Excess skin which makes the upper eyelid’s natural fold less visible
- Fine wrinkles on the lower eyelids
- Lax skin of the forehead and upper eyelid
- Prominent frown lines, laugh lines
Dark Circles Treatment
Various treatment modalities help in combination to reduce dark circles.
- A cream program, including a sunscreen and moisturizers helps to prepare the skin for any procedure and prevents further progression.
- Chemical peels exfoliate the skin gently, reducing the pigmentation.
- Lasers help to reduce the deeper pigmentation and stimulate new collagen production in the skin. The Q switched ND YAG, and the fractional erbium and carbon dioxide laser are used for this.
- Fillers and fat injection fills up the hollow below the eyes, thus masking the dark colour and prominent blood vessels. Fillers last for 9 months to a year. Autologous fat, may last for many years and significantly improves skin texture.
Treatment for wrinkles around the eye
Frown lines, smile lines which appear around the eyes while frowning and smiling are effectively treated by Botulinum, which needs to be repeated every 4-6 months for maintenance. The lines present at rest can be alleviated by laser procedures, fillers and surgery.
Treatment for yellow deposits on the eyelid.
Yellow deposits which appear on the upper and lower eyelids are called Xanthalesma and are fatty deposits. They can occasionally be associated with high blood cholesterol levels. They are effectively treated with chemical applications, radiosurgery or a surgical removal.
How do fillers help?
With age and sometimes with weight loss, there is a depression/groove called the tear trough which develops below the eyes. This gives a sunken look to the eyes. Fillers – temporary, permanent or fat, when injected in this area fill the groove restoring a youthful look.
How do surgical procedures help?
There are a variety of plastic surgical procedures which help rejuvenate the periocular skin.
- Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is of two kinds: upper eyelid surgery and lower eyelid surgery. While the former also known as “eyelift”, it lessens excess fat and skin present in the upper eyelids; the latter decreases excess puffiness and bulging of the lower eyelids. The scars would be well-hidden among the natural lines on the eyelid. The result is a refreshed appearance with a younger, firmer eye area.
- An endoscopic browlift surgery minimizes creases across the forehead (glabellar folds) and those that occur high on the bridge of the nose.
- Fat grafting utilizes one’s own fat to fill up the under eye hollows. Fat helps improve the skin texture and stays for a longer time.