Pigmentation is a skin condition where patches of the skin turn into a darker shade of colour due to the excessive presence of melanin, found on the skin surface. When these cells become damaged or unhealthy, it affects melanin production. Some pigmentation disorders just affect the patches on the skin. Other affects your entire body.
Types of Treatment and Therapies
- Chemical Peel: A chemical peel is a technique that improves the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands. It mostly treats facial skin and enhances the body and scarring. It uses a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers.
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is an invasive procedure to remove damage and defects in the upper layers of the skin. Usually on the face. This treatment is done with people who wish to improve the appearance of their skin.
- Laser Therapy: Laser resurfacing is a procedure that uses a laser to improve the appearance of skin or treat minor facial flaws by removing layers of skin. The two most common types of resurfacing lasers are:
• Carbon dioxide (CO2): This type of laser is used to treat wrinkles, scars, warts and other conditions.
• Erbium: This type of laser is used to remove superficial and moderately deep lines and wrinkles on the face, hands, neck, and chest. It causes fewer side effects than CO2 lasers.